Monday 29 March 2021

Which Type of Salt is The Healthiest?




doctor and I care for people who have kidney disease high blood pressure heart disease heart failure liver disease a whole spectrum of problems and one of the things that is important for a lot of my patients is if they eat a low sodium diet so what I often hear from my patients is they say well I've started.

using sea salt instead of regular salt
just to make sure I'm doing better for 
my health and so I thought it'd be fun today if I took a few minutes and I went through the type of salts I have at home and the health benefits of each one let me start by saying this first and clearly all salt is salt let me say that again all sold short so iodized salt is 
what most of us use in baking it's got a 
little bit of a chemically taste so I don't use it for salads and things like 
that but iodine has been added to salt 
in order to prevent iodine deficiency in a lot of parts of the world because iodine deficient can lead to thyroid problems and other health problems so that's it as far as health benefit from
one type of salt versus another 
iodized salt has iodine in it I use it 
for baking I don't use it really for 
anything else in my house this right 
here is kosher salt coarse kosher salt 
as you can see it kind of has a little
bigger grain sin normal salt and I keep 
it out in a little Bowl just like this 
when I need salt take a little pinch put 
it right on my vegetables it's simple 
it's easy I use a little bit throughout 
the cooking process this is my go-to
salt kosher salt this is sea salt sea 
salt is just like any other salt it's 
not healthier it doesn't have less 
sodium in it it's the same the sea salt 
has maybe a little bit of a different 
flavor than the kosher salt but really
it can be used anytime you would use 
kosher salt I use sea salt just as 
something to change it up a little bit I 
keep it on the table to season my food 
the end but there's no benefit to using 
sea salt over kosher salt or table salt 
now for the controversial one if you 
look on the internet you would think
that pink Himalayan salt is the cure for 
all that ails you because the claim that 
it has more elements it's not as 
processed as regular salt there's this theory that it is better for you helps keep your electrolytes balanced that's nonsense Himalayan salt is 95 to 98% sodium 
chloride regular salt it has a trace 
amount of other elements and so it is 
not any better for your health now who 
doesn't love a little bit of pink salt I 
mean look at it it's beautiful right 
it's fun eating and choosing salt is 
really not about how always it's about 
fun little pink salt put it on your food keep it out on the table it's a 
conversation starter I love it 
lastly we got this thing called Maldon 
salt now if you look at this box this is 
a worn through box of salt and the 
reason why it's worn through is because 
I don't use molten salt very often it 
has these huge flakes which give you a 
burst of salt.
it's a finishing salt you use it at the 
very end of your dish when you want to really have a salt pop when you take a bite and I find it's a little too salty for me I almost never want a big salt 
crystals bite but it's a lot of fun also 
to use if you have people that enjoy 
that kind of flavor and if you are 
careful about how much salt you put in 
the rest of your food and your 
ingredients as you're cooking it it's 
okay to finish your dish with a little 
bit of salt so remember this choose the 
type of salt you're cooking with based 
on flavor based on presentation based on 
what excites you the only health benefit 
to one type of salt over the other is 
the iodized salt will help protect your 
thyroid everything else 
sea salt kosher salt Maldon salt 
Himalayan pink salt it's all sodium 
chloride it doesn't matter 
change your buds and learn to use just a 
little bit of salt while you're cooking 
we'll really enhance the flavor but 
don't overdo it for more health.
information make sure you stop by my 
website the nidatradings dot com I've got a  
blog sign up for my email list weekly 
tips and recipes directly to your inbox 
and we'll see you next time     

No comments:

Post a Comment